My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Friday, January 13, 2006

Hello Graham - Catch you in a New York sunrise

Hello everybody!

Graham Wegner of Adelaide has just written to me, after I wrote about blogging awards in response to his blog. That is so good. I do like this a lot. It is a big privilege.

Also, I have just written to Gordon Brune because he put up an interesting prompt about Martin Luther King and his legacy. It turns out that the high school there has a Multicultural Club which did dances and songs about Martin Luther King, and one by Stevie Wonder. "We have time for racism ... for every kind of -ism".

It has just turned out that I wrote my post four minutes after a New York sunrise. Mr Brune was obviously up very early. He was up before sunrise. I am sure his students will be pleased.

I have a new book which cost less than 10 dollars from Angus and Robertson by Paget (not the lady, the man) and on January the 31st I will have an MP3 machine to do lots of recordings. I will have to learn how to convert MP3/WMA to OGG which is the standard free sound format for Wikipedia spoken recordings. I will do some short articles. And I will put in quotes from my favourite poets. The book starts with Spring is icumen in and ends with Seamus Heaney who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1995. I like his working class poetry, especially about potatoes and work. Also there is Ted Hughes, but he isn't my favourite.

We have been thinking a great deal about getting an office for Wikimedia Australia. Nathan asked a question about why we need an office and servers at this point. As it was me who suggested it, I might have been obliged to answer it. But AmishThrasher did it so much better and more articulately than I could have, for which I am glad. We have still to decide whether it's the smaller option or not. If you like Wikipedia and believe in what we're doing, and you're Australian, then you can join the steering committee if you like. I certainly hope you do.

Have written lots to the JHH kids. They have made me critically analyse and evaluate my own writing process and especially what I have learnt in the last year. I have made a New Years' Resolution different for each one. They write in their blogs every Thursday, and there is a new girl named Jadea. May she do well and enjoy blogging as well as the older students do. Also have tried a new typing programme - I have written almost NOTHING on paper for 2006 so far, and I am ashamed! But this was for Ellie(y?) in Grade 7. I pointed out that maths and typing are the same - as you always have to show your working. Everyone has different working. I try to get a map of the keyboard, but the rest is muscle memory. I began to type in 1991. And I find the tests a little impatience-inducing as opposed to the three lessons. I shall never get to the next level I am sure. It is a demo version so I had to clean out my temp folder. That may have included spoken files and PDFs. And there was a really terrific video of Wikimania - a key speech which was 125 megabytes. It had to go.

7 Comments:

Anonymous gordon said...

Hi, Brownyn
Your post made me think of LibriVoz, an effort to provide all the free audiobooks from the public domain. Check it out!
http://www.librivox.org/
Cheers,
Gordon

January 13, 2006 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Chloe said...

Dear Bronwyn G,
Thanks for writing about us and for all the comments! You surpise us all with your long, thought-out comments! But it was fun to get them! Thanks for writing!
Chloe, Mr.Brune's Class

January 13, 2006 7:59 AM  
Blogger Bronwyn G said...

Dear Gordon,

I joined LibriVox as soon as I got your message. Am just now writing up my introduction. So far I would like to read Black Beauty (some chapters of) and Ulysses (especially chapter 18).

Thanks much for telling me about this place. I will not get a new speaking machine until January the 31st.

Chloe,

Glad to see you comment inside my blog. I was very happy to see this. Let's hope some of the other students know to come here, especially after Martin Luther King Day.

January 13, 2006 11:37 PM  
Anonymous Darren Kuropatwa said...

Hi Bronwyn,

I couldn't find your email address so I'm leaving you this comment.

I just wanted to personally thank you for the encouraging comments you left my niece Ellie on her blog. You've really had an impact, her spelling is near perfect now -- I really liked the gentle way you worked that in. And the fact that you followed up with a second comment. Now she has teachers from across the globe -- thanks for being one of them. ;-)

Cheers,
Darren

January 14, 2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Darren Kuropatwa said...

Hi Bronwyn,

I couldn't find your email address so I'm leaving you this comment.

I just wanted to personally thank you for the encouraging comments you left my niece Ellie on her blog. You've really had an impact, her spelling is near perfect now -- I really liked the gentle way you worked that in. And the fact that you followed up with a second comment. Now she has teachers from across the globe -- thanks for being one of them. ;-)

Cheers,
Darren

January 14, 2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger Jo McLeay said...

Hi Bronwyn,
It's great to meet you through your blog. I;ve learnt a lot about wikipedia that I didn't know from reading your post. I really liked Bob Sprankle's class' podcast on "wicked wikipedia". These kids are 7 or 8 years old and are learning about it. It's great http://bobsprankle.com/bitbybit_wordpress/?p=57
Jo

January 15, 2006 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Robin said...

Hey Bronwyn,
Just wanted to let you know again how much we appreciate your input on the JHH weblogs. Zach is always thrilled to see posts from you. They encourage him so much. We will check out Wikipedia very soon. You're absolutely right about encouraging the kids. I'm going to try to carve out an hour in the afternoons just for reading the posts and commenting. I'm going to learn as much as I can about blogs so Zach can continue this beyond JHH. Thanks again. Take care.

January 16, 2006 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home